Monday, November 26, 2012

15 months, now 16. . .

Photobucket

   Hadley turned 15 months at the end of October.  I've been meaning to take some new pictures of her but I got so busy with taking family pictures for others this fall that I ended up not getting around to it.  At her 15 month check-up I was very nervous to see what her weight gain was.  When we took her in to the Doctor's office for her 12 month visit she had had another dip on the growth chart and was pretty much not on the chart anymore.  The dr. told me I needed to do my best to fatten her up--give her heavy cream in her meals and ice cream whenever she wanted it pretty much.  I had a hard time with this. . .I know it is important to get more calories in her since she is so small, but I don't understand the desire to just give her more fat calories especially if they are coming in forms that aren't heavy on the nutrient side as well.  Anyway, we've been working on it a lot these past few months and I was hoping to get good news. (Brad had filled my head with all of the things we might have to go through if she didn't start gaining weight! :)) At her 15 month check-up she was up to 18.7 lbs and had climbed back to the 5th percentile for weight and jumped to the 10th for height.  I was quite relieved.  It is obviously something we will have to still be careful of and keep our eye on, but I am grateful that we at least made some progress!  I have felt all long that there was nothing "wrong" with her, she simply is a finicky eater and doesn't like to sit still in her high chair for very long.  We are trying to do all the things we can to envourage her to eat without starting too many bad habits and without giving her too much junk food (because she will always eat that)!
Other than the issues related to her being small, Hadley has been growing up so much lately!  She is communicating with us very well, she still only has about 4 words but she has started mimicking words we say and trying to talk to us more.  She was my most calm and easy going baby, but unfortunately those traits have not stayed with her into toddlerhood and she has definitely learned to stand up for herself and let us know what she wants and what she doesn't!  She LOVES her sisters so much and is always so excited to give them loves and hugs when they get home, when they wake up, or when they go to bed.  She has honed the skill of the perfect scowl and will hang her head when she is not happy with us, look up through her furrowed brows and give us the best scowl she can muster.  We think it is pretty darn funny!  I feel like she is at that stage now where she is not quite a baby still, but we're not ready to call her a girl yet either. . .
 
Photobucket

No comments: