Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Baby Mullet: To cut, or not to cut



Ella was blessed with a beautiful head of hair when she was born (as you can see from the first picture taken in the hospital). It was long and thick. . .and I often bragged about her hair to my friends with bald babies. However, now I see there is a down side to all this hair, at least in Ella's case. Now that Ella is 3 months old, her hair is not looking so great to be honest with you. She has rubbed off the whole middle portion of her hair leaving her with, what her daddy calls a baby mullet! It just looks so silly. It has been looking like this for the past month or so, but believe it or not, it is actually getting better. There is FINALLY some new growth underneath that will hopefully start filling in the bald areas. However, it may still be awhile before our sweet little one starts looking "normal" again as the new hair seems to be considerably lighter than her dark,newborn hair. I keep going back and forth with the dilemma of whether or not to cut off the extra long hair to make it more even or whether to just let it naturally grow out and grow back in. So I decided to see what ya'all think. I have posted a poll to the side and ask for your votes on just what to do with the baby mullet! Let me know what you think!

5 comments:

Jeff said...

I think you should cut the front of her hair to better show off the mullet.

Becca said...

The bald spot is always a dilemna. Emily's wasn't all that big and she still had plenty of hair in the front so it wasn't too bad. Now that her hair has filled back in and grown some, it just looks like she has layers. Which since it's curly, works out well. As for Ella, if you think it looks bad and you can't stand it - give it a bit of a trim. From what I can see from the picture (which is never the same in person) I would just give it some time and it'll all fill in. Before you know it losing hair won't be an issue any more - until you have to deal with them pulling their pigtails out.

Courtney said...

Heather, Weston's hair did the same thing, when he was born he had so much thick black hair and then his hair did the exact thing Ella's is doing....just wait it out it gets better,I promise...although do what you want.....unfortunately this hair stage is just the awkward stage...kind of like puberty stage:)

Anonymous said...

Gotta love the baby mullet. I've wondered what to do about it too...Andrew had one, not so much with Peter (yet) I had a cousin who did buzz it, and it looked fine. Maybe just trim it a little bit. I think she is darling and love the new pics.

Jacci Halliday said...

Both of my girls had baby mullets. I figured it was better to let them get it out of their systems! Hang in there because Adrie's grew into what looked like a a-line cut. It was really cute!