Thursday, February 7, 2008

Sunburned in February. . .What??

Yes, it's true. Ella and I got a bit of a sunburn yesterday. Before Ella's grandmothers panic thinking that their granddaughter is not being well taken care of, let me explain myself.
Since yesterday was such a beautiful 80 degree day, Ella and I decided to meet Brad and some of our friends for a picnic lunch near Brad's school. I, trying not to be the worst mother in the entire world, packed all of our lunches, a blanket, toys for Ella, food for Ella, and even a hat for Ella to wear to protect her from the February heat. No, I did not bring sunscreen!!! Who thinks of sunscreen in the beginning of February unless they are going skiing? Well, certainly not me. Do you think I still get good mom credit for thinking to bring a hat??
Anyhow, Ella did have a hat to protect her from the sun however it was so windy down on the water that the darn thing kept blowing off, so I gave up. So as a result Ella got her first little sunburn. Nothing serious, just a little red in the cheeks. Let the horrible mother comments rain down. . .I can take it, really.

I took these pictures of Ella braving the wind. They are clearly not the most flattering of Ella, but I thought they were too funny to pass up. Some wind gusts were so strong they would knock the poor thing right over. She sure is a trooper!




And look, she's still smiling today even after all that I put her through. Let's hope she still has that attitude as a teenager :)

4 comments:

Courtney said...

No negative comments about how bad you are as a mother coming from me....I have done that many times with Weston especially when we lived in San Fran, it would be like 60 degrees and cool so I never thought of sunscreen but those poor little kids have skin that is so sensitive to sun, believe me I have learned my lesson....I hope. She is darling! I can't believe that it is so warm there...it is so cold here and snowy. I am jelous. I am ready for winter to be done.

Anonymous said...

Even though I feel bad Ella got a sunburn, my sympathy for having a sunburn in February while enjoying 80 degree weather on the beach is barely there. Winter in Utah is getting long for me and my 2 year old! Oh and by the way, I really think you are a super mom to have packed all the lunches, brought toys and a hat...seriously it's hard to remember everything.

Nicole said...

I don't think you were explaining yourself as much as you were bragging. ;-P You enjoy that 80 degree weather while we freeze here in Utah with 20 degree weather and more snow coming!

Snarr Family said...

I can't believe you!!! Just teasing. That is crazy that it was 80 degrees there yesterday. I don't think anyone would think about a sunburn in February. I'm jealous, we have been holed up in our house going stir crazy. Ella is getting so big. I love looking at her cute pictures.

Chaney