Thursday, June 19, 2008

Utah Trip --- Bummer!

We just got back from our week long trip to Utah, and I must say we are pretty bummed out! We always look forward all year long to our visits home, but this last one just didn't measure up. It started out with Ella getting sick the day before we flew home. Then, the evening of our first day home I got sick as a dog and was up the whole night throwing up. If this wasn't bad enough, it seemed like whatever little bug Ella and I came down with was extremely contagious as everyone we had seen the first few days came down with the same thing. We even cleaned the whole house with bleach in order to get rid of the germs and thought we had taken care of everything before we had a little early birthday party for Ella. Well, despite our best efforts, people who came to the party still got sick! I couldn't believe it. So not only did we feel like we shouldn't see anyone else because of our sickness, but I also felt so guilty for starting this plague that spread through our family and friends. We finally decided that we should just stay away from everyone and as such, didn't even get to see half of the people we wanted to. Overall the trip was just a bust. . .not what we had planned it being at all! I'm so bummed out because of our bad luck, and what makes it worse we will not get to see anyone again until Christmas.

So to those of you we saw while we were in town--we're sorry we got you sick. And to those of you we didn't see (there are many), we are so sorry we missed you but glad we didn't give you our friendly little stomach bug. Now we will just be eagerly awaiting Christmas time and hope for better luck next time around! (And in case you were wondering, we have had no more signs of sickness since we have been home--what horrible timing!)

Here are some fun pictures of the good times we did have in between all the illness:


Ella went crazy for Corn-on-the-Cob at my Mom's house. She sat there for at least 15 minutes just chewing away on the cob!


Ella with Jonah and Grace, 2 of the 3 kids I used to nanny for

Family photo op at the park

Ella's first time rolling down a hill with Daddy (there are no opportunities for that in coastal Virginia as their are NO hills to speak of

The birthday girl at her early birthday party

Being sneaky and yanking cousin Emily's hair while the adults are busy with their cameras

Playing with her birthday balloons. . .by far the favorite thing at the party

Meeting her new cousin Kaden for the first time

Feeding our one and only nephew

It was fun seeing those of you we could see, but we missed seeing everyone else immensely! Anyone want to come out here for a visit so we can see you before Christmas??

7 comments:

Mandy said...

Too bad you guys were all sick. Seems like when you try to have something comes up to ruin your plans....I guess that's why someone invented murphy's law right? Anyway, hope you had fun atleast being home!

Jeff said...

I will take the getting sick to be able to hang out with you guys and let Emily and Ella play. Don't feel bad on our part.

Courtney said...

I am so sorry you guys were sick, that is bad timing....we wanted to come to slc to see you guys but I have been a little (okay a lot) sick with this pregnancy, but I am so sorry for you guys...I can't believe that we won't see you until Christmas! Maybe we will come out sooner, Conrad did mention how nice it was when we came out in October last year and that he wanted to do that again.....

hope you guys are feeling better. Ella is adorable, I can't believe she is already one! we miss you guys!

Melanie said...

Oh that is so sad you were sick the whole time! Ella looks adorable in eating corn on the cob. I love the cute cliippies in her hair.

Catherine said...

No hills? Come on, we've got Mount Trashmore! :)

The Larsens said...

That stinks you all got sick. Thats usually how our Utah trips end up. Almost every time we go home we are up at Primary Children's with Blake. Luckily this last trip home we never had to visit the doctor. Glad you are all feeling better now. We are actually fighting some bug at our house right now. Blake and Mark both have it, and I am crossing my fingers I don't get it!

Anonymous said...

Heather, what a bummer! I am so sorry you all got sick. We got something like that over Memorial Day...it was yucky. I was wondering what happened to the "we are coming to town" post. Hopefully we'll see you next time.