Saturday, August 2, 2008

My Saturday Mornings

I have to admit I totally get addicted to Garage Sale hunting--especially this year now that I am always on the lookout for fun kiddie stuff for Ella. This garage sale season has brought some pretty good finds and I thought I would share them all with you. I really have come to totally believe that you can find almost anything you want at a garage sale especially when it comes to kids and toys. I could probably count on one hand the number of toys Brad and I have bought for Ella at a "regular" store. We just can't afford them and it seems like every time I have found something at the store that I thought Ella would just love, I have found the same thing for $1 or less at a garage sale a week or two later. I feel like I have become really good at passing up things that we really don't need, but when it comes to finding a bargain at a garage sale I just can't resist! I think Brad may be starting to think I have lost my mind, but, oh well. I'm pretty sure I'll keep hunting each Saturday morning. I do have to admit I sometimes feel like an old woman when I rush out to get the paper and circle which garage sales I'm going to hit that morning. I think I especially look like a weirdo when I do it on a Wednesday and start "planning in advance". Oh well. I will admit, that is just who I am right now. . .but at least I think it has been paying off!

I took a few pictures of my best finds over the past 2 months. I have also bought little toys and clothes for Ella, but these are the ones that were most exciting to me!


This is a little rocking snail that I found for Ella for $2 at my first garage sale of the year . . .I later saw one very similar at TJ Maxx on sale for $75! Ella loves to ride on it everyday!

Here is the walker we got for Ella for $1. . .she doesn't use it as much now that she can walk on her own, but it was a lifesaver for a while.

Fun little picnic table, $5

Crocodile see-saw

And the jackpot from this last weekend was this awesome playground! I have been looking into prices and trying to figure out if we would ever be able to afford getting one for Ella lately. They are normally REALLY pricey, but this awesome lady sold it to me for $40. I was nervous getting it because I have never made so big a purchase without Brad's consent, but I just had to dive on in and do it on my own since Brad was at the hospital. I figured, if he didn't agree, I would always be able to sell it for more on Craig's List later! Look how much fun it is! Ella is still a little small for it now but come this winter and spring I think she will really enjoy it!! I am so excited about this purchase, can you tell? (Please ignore the ugly towels and that in the background. . .we had just gotten back from swimming when I took these pictures :))





Crawling through the tunnel

Going down the slide all by herself!

Oh, and I have to say an extra special thanks to my dad for the playground, because last time we were in town he snuck $40 into my pocket (as he often does) when we were leaving for the airport. I've been hanging onto the money waiting to use it on something fun, when I found this at the garage sale I thought it would be a perfect use for his "gift" to us. So. . . . thanks again, Dad!

13 comments:

Barb said...

That playground really is a great score!

Gpa Holbrook said...

Wow - I am glad I will be out there next month to play on it. How do you keep Brad off of it?
Great find, It looks great in your nice fenced yard and green grass. You have such a cute house. Thanks for taking such good care of our son and granddaughter.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, you will have to check out the cool video of Robert Schwarz that I found today and posted on my blog. I think Brad will really enjoy it.
Em Fin

Melanie said...

Wow! Sweet finds! I need to start garage sale-ing (um yah..) I definitely think that what is one persons trash is another persons treasure.

Red said...

too cute! you should call me next time you go :-)

Anonymous said...

Dear Heather,

I can't believe how big Ella is. It seems odd that she is so big and I have never even met her. She is adoreable. I also can't believe how big Callie and Lauren are. How do kids grow up so fast. You sound like you are doing great. How is Brad enjoying the start of his 3rd year? I remember rotations being so much nicer than classwork. I hope you got my eamil about being pregnant and expecting our third boy. Boys, we love 'em.

Emily Wilde

kimbob said...

I'm such a slacker at reading your blog and figured I should start checking it out now that I've started my own. My blog is private so would love to have you check it out but need your email address. Shoot me an email and I'll invite you :) My kids miss you guys, it would have been fun to have you at the baby blessing. Nana brought over something from you blog about Ella's birthday. Happy belated birthday to her!
kimmyga@msn.com

Kim Adams (Bob's wife)

Snarr Family said...

That is awesome! It looks like you hit some jack pots! I'll need to keep that in mind instead of buying new. We could use the savings. I hope you guys are doing well. Tell Brad we are thinking of him.

Chaney

Jacci Halliday said...

NICE! I love me a good deal. Ella is darling!

Mandy said...

Jared is holding out for a vintage Fender guitar at a garage sale one of these days...let me know if you see one while making the circuit!

Larson Love said...

Great finds! I totally love a good deal. Your little Bella is getting so big. Time sure flies... Hope all is well with you guys. Much love!

w and w said...

Inspiring! Wow hopefully I find some steals like that around here in NC. I can't imagine spending less than $100 for all that!

Anonymous said...

what great finds! how do you find the good deals? I always wonder how to be a good yard sale hunter...any tips.