Our time in Virginia ended up coming to an end so quickly. Before we knew it we were forced to say goodbye to our dear friends and our first home. We definitely were not ready for all of the emotions that would bring! Everything came so quickly and we were so sad to leave. Our last weeks in Virginia were so busy, none of it really hit us until after we had our house all packed up in the moving truck and it was all empty. Even now, a month later, I am sad thinking about it. We spent 5 wonderful years in Norfolk--when we moved there Brad and I had only been married for 6 months, and now leaving we have two beautiful little girls and countless memories. Our time spent there will always hold a special place in our hearts. I wanted to quickly document some of the things we will miss the most (and are already missing) from Virginia:
-HOME, SWEET HOME. Since I worked the first 2 years we were out there we were lucky enough to buy a home. We LOVED our little bungalow with the wrap around porch and all the charm that came with it. We made sure before we left we took a few pictures of our little family on the front porch and front porch swing. I am still missing that home. We are definitely thrilled with the extra space we now have in New Mexico, but I don't feel like our new house is "Home" yet. I certainly hope that with time we will come to enjoy our new home as much as our first one.
As you can see from the pictures (especially the family ones), Ella was definitely not excited about seeing our house empty. Neither was I. I think we all shed a few tears that day.
-FRIENDS. I MISS SO MANY OF YOU IN VIRGINIA. I was blessed to work in a number of church callings with women I learned so much from and women who I really admire. We also had a number of great associations with other med students and families where we were able to develop lasting friendships. While there were many times in Virginia that I struggled with loneliness, towards the last year of our time there I really finally felt comfortable and felt like I had real friends that I could turn to for any need I had. I think that these friends were always there, but that because of my own insecurities I did not fully reach out to them during our first few years. I really regret that I didn't reach out more right from the start. I am trying my best to do better during this new adventure in a new place.
Ella has also been missing her friends a lot. During the first month there were numerous times when she would break down and cry saying she misses her friends. I have been trying to do my best now to get her out and meeting kids as much as possible to try and help ease her sadness.
-THE BEACH. How I long to go play in the sand and the waves. Ella has been asking where the beach is the last few days and wanting to know when we can go. I think a trip to California or Coastal Texas might be needed ASAP.
-THE BOTANICAL GARDENS. We spent so much time there as a family. Rumor has it that we have one here in Albuquerque so I will have to get us there soon to compare. We did buy a Children's Museum pass last week, so hopefully that will help entertain for a while.
-GREEN GRASS. It's definitely hard to find out here!
-The YMCA. Oh, how I love you and your awesome workout classes and free child care. I long for a Y here, but the closest is about 25-30 minutes away--that is just not going to happen. Plus, I probably couldn't afford it now anyway (Brad's school paid for our membership in Virginia). Now I have got to find some sort of exercising alternative before people start thinking I am pregnant! (I'm NOT!)
Thanks for allowing me to reminisce about some of our fond memories in Virginia. We are enjoying our time here in Albuquerque as well and I will be sure to dedicate a future post to that, but for now we will just look back fondly on the last chapter of our life as we begin a new one!
3 comments:
Oh Heather that almost made me cry just reading it and we were only with you the last year! Sweet little Ella! Give yourselves all a big hug from us and know that you are missed dearly!!! Good luck with everything!
Moving is so difficult! I sure appreciated your comment on our blog. I've had a tough time. It was good for me to read that you wished you would have been more outgoing with your friends at first. I want to call people up but I'm just so dang shy! I don't want to bother people or have them feel like they have to hang out. Dumb insecurities.
We have a YMCA here but it's like $600 a year to join! Don't think I'll be affording that one. Going to the gym just does wonders for your spirit don't you think? There isn't any other (reasonably priced) gyms here.
My heart goes out to Ella! Grace has been having the same issues as far as missing her friends and her home. It's definitely getting better though.
I want to see pictures of your new house!
I loved your Virginia house as well. We are glad that we were able to actually see it and visit you, that is still one of our favorite trips to date....
Yes, we wil definately come visit you in NM...soon I promise. Hope you are adjusting and liking it.
Post a Comment