Like this. . .

In the past two months or so Ella has started licking her lips like crazy! I have bought her chapstick and tried to encourage her to stop, but that tongue is always out of her mouth! What to do? I figured once she got her first sore from it she would be discouraged from doing it again, but so far that hasn't really worked. What is your philosophy on helping your kids break bad habits? As a general rule, do you think mild discouragement is enough and the stage will soon pass, or are you for taking more drastic measures?
Oh, and I forgot to mention that beyond the lip-licking we are way into nose-picking around here too. And lucky for us, Maggie has seemed to catch on and follow her big sister's example on this one! (I'll spare you and not share any pics of that one. . .)
4 comments:
My goodness, you two must have given her too long a tongue! But have you thought about the pompoms in a jar idea again? It seemed to work the last time pretty well. You could fill the jar first this time and then every time you catch her licking, take one out. If she has ___ left by the end of the day or week (you determine the time) she earns something special--like getting an extra story or something. Start with a small achievable amount and increase the number she needs every so often. That might work--who knows? Just a thought from grandma. Mom
Grace has been doing this same thing! It's so frustrating. I've been wiping vaseline all over her lips several times a day and that has helped a little. Good luck with the nose picking thing though. I'm pretty lucky she doesn't do that. :)
I would just keep the chapstick on it so it will heal, and keep it low-key. It seems that when you draw attention to those little bad habits, they just get worse.
The nose-picking though? That one's a little more embarrassing especially in public. Still, I think a gentle reminder is best. Too much attention might just make it worse!
my kids still have issues with picking their nose, even Cole who's almost 10. Sorry I'd love any advice too!
Hey Aunt Sandi needs your email address. She is going to be collecting pictures for the yearly calendar and wants to send you an email about that, so beware!!! :)
Post a Comment