Friday, November 1, 2013

Halloween

This year will go down as the last year that I EVER attempt to make a Halloween costume for one of my children!  It was just that bad---anytime I look at these pictures since, I just can't help but laugh out loud at how terrible Ella looks in her costume.    I was so thrilled when early on in September the younger two girls informed me that they wanted to use costumes from years past and Ella wanted to be a ghost.  I thought it was just what I needed---super easy costumes that I didn't have to worry about, when I knew I would probably have a week-old baby come Halloween.  I think where plans went drastically wrong was when I neglected to work on Ella's costume until after I had the little babe.  Still, I wasn't worried and I knew the holiday could be salvaged with a quick sheet over the head and cut out eyes.  However, when Ella came home from school on Halloween and I told her we needed to finish her costume she informed me that she DID NOT want the sheet to cover her face, but would prefer her face painted in white instead.  I managed to remain calm and found some quick, easy instructions for a ghost costume on-line that didn't cover her face.  I made the costume, (cut the appropriate holes and pinned here and there) and had it already to go a good 30 minutes before our party--which would give me just barely enough time to feed the baby before heading out.  I DID NOT anticipate how TERRIBLE the costume would look on her.  I had to keep in my laughter because I knew I had no time to make it any better before our festivities.  The good news is Ella didn't know enough to care---even when Brad and I had to again contain our laughter when good-willed neighbors kept asking if she was a nun when she was trick or treating.  I mean really, how many time do you mistake a ghost for a nun??  That's got to be a pretty terrible costume! 

Here is the evidence so you can judge for yourself. . .

 
I will take all of the blame for the failures of Halloween 2013, and I will certainly commit myself to never again "create" a Halloween costume for any of my children.  We lucked out this year that there was no drama about the terrible costume--Ella was super happy with it, and Brad and I had a more entertaining holiday than in recent memory.  However, I am sure a similar mishap in the future will bring much more terrible results!  I also really hope that when Ella looks back on this posts years from now, she will also find it as humorous as Brad and I, rather than being mortified that her mother would do such a thing to her!
 
 (I guess it can't be THAT bad, because as Maggie walked in the room and looked at this picture just now, she said she wants to be the "ghost that Ella was for Halloween next year".  Sorry sweetie, that costume has been retired!  :))

On a more positive note, our pumpkins were pretty awesome this year. . .including Maggie's hot air balloon jack-o-lantern that Daddy hung from the ceiling . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Halloween at your house if always so full of jack-o-lanterns and fun. The costume for Ella was a grand one--I agree with Ella. Glad you were all able to have such a fun time together. Grandma D.