Friday, April 4, 2014

Grandma Thomas

 
Our planned trip to Utah for Spring Break ended up coming much earlier than we had planned.  The last week of March I got news from my Mom that it looked like it would be the last week on earth for my dear grandma.  I decided that I wanted to make it up there for the funeral, so my family waited a bit longer to hold her funeral so that I could make it up there with my girls.  I was so thankful I was able to be there with my family and celebrate the life of my last living grandparent.  I will always remember how fun-loving she was and how she always had a smile on her face and a laugh she was ready to share. 
I enjoyed hearing the stories of her in her younger years. . .long before I ever knew her and feeling like I got to know her more even after her death.  I have often felt, with both my grandmothers, that I wish I could have known them more as an adult.  I always knew of their love for me, but I did not know who they truly were.  My Grandma Draper died when I was just 12 years old, and although she made enough of an impression on my life that I wanted to name my first-born daughter after her, I still find myself wishing I knew her more. 
I was touched by the same feelings at my Grandma Thomas' funeral.  A feeling of longing to know her better (especially my adult self), a wishing that I had taken advantage of the time I had with her more.  I wonder if I had lived closer over the past 9 years if I would have had more of that time with her.  I was certainly jealous of my family members who were able to spend time caring for her throughout her final days.  I guess you will always feel that way at someone's passing. . .like you just didn't have enough time.
I am grateful to know and understand God's plan.  Grandma was never afraid to die and spoke often in her final days about her excitement to see her parents again.  I look forward to the time when I can again be reunited with my loved ones who have passed on as well.
 
 

No comments: