Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Seawheeze Half Marathon

About 10 months ago---right before Myla was born, my friend Kellie had this idea that she wanted to go run this awesome half marathon in Vancouver, BC and that I should go with her.  She was smart enough to know that I would never agree to such a crazy idea without having Brad on board.  She talked it over with Brad first and the two of them convinced me that it was a great plan and I should jump in headfirst.  I never thought I would ever be capable of running a half marathon--a 10k was the most I had ever done before and that was long before having kids--so the thought of doing this 10 months after having a baby that I was then pregnant with seemed crazy, but the thought of a girls trip to a beautiful place seemed wonderful.
I agreed, not knowing how I would ever accomplish such a feat.  Training began mildly towards the end of March and picked up full speed towards the end of May.  Not feeling like I could really do this, I kept my goals pretty small.  After lots of training and completing long runs of 9 and 10 miles, without stopping, I realized that I was capable of doing more than I thought.  I still was not fast by any means, but the fact that I could now run 9 or 10 miles without stopping, including running up hills, seemed like I minor miracle to me.  By the time the race came my goal was to finish in under 2 hours and 30 minutes and to run the whole thing.  My unspoken goal, was really to finish closer to 2:20 (but I kept that one to myself).
 
Kellie and I headed to Vancouver with no kids, leaving all 7 of them behind with our supportive hubbies.  It was so relaxing to travel without kids---something I haven't done since having them 7 years ago!  We were able to sight-see for a day and a half and discover Vancouver before race day came.
 
 


 
Sunset Yoga the night before the race. . .
 Nervous and excited at the start line. . .
 Views during the run. . .

 
The race went better than I had hoped for.  I felt good almost the whole time, I paced myself well and did my best to enjoy the course.  Best of all, I finished in 2:19:22!  I was amazed and completely proud of myself.  I did something hard, something I didn't think I could ever do, and I enjoyed it!  I was amazed at what I could do.  I was SO proud of myself when I crossed that finish line.  It is something I think I will always remember.  It didn't matter that it wasn't fast, it didn't matter that there were plenty of others who could do it faster or better, I tried my best not to compare myself with others' bests and just enjoy the fact that I had accomplished a goal for myself.  Something that is often so hard to do as a Mom.  I am so glad Kellie encouraged me to do it, and I am so grateful Brad was so supportive of me and the training required.  It was fun, and we are already planning another one for next year!  :)
 
 The day after the race we spent being tourists at Grouse Mountain.  Ziplining, checking out the views and grizzly bears, and walking around with sore legs! 



 We got stuck in Denver on the way back when our flight was cancelled.  We had no belongings and decided to buy t-shirts at the airport so we had something to sleep in.  What an adventure!
 

 

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Way to go Heather! That is a HUGE HUGE accomplishment! Especially 10 months after having Myla. I am so impressed.

Also glad you got to get away for a bit!

Way to go!

Teri said...

Congrats Heather!