Friday, August 31, 2007
A call for a good book
I have found I have a lot of time on my hands. Well, not really. But I do have the need to entertain my brain a little bit more during the hours and hours I spend nursing Ella. (TV is just not cutting it) I have spent the first almost two months now of Ella's life reading lots of books with advice on mothering and taking care of babies. To be honest, I'm sick of that now and would like to move on to some more adult reading. But to be honest, I'm stumped on where to start, and I don't have a lot of time to peruse the nearest bookstore. So, I'm wondering if any of you out there have any suggestions for me on a good book to read. No, I don't really like romance or sci-fi novels so you can eliminate those right from the start (No Harry Potter either. . .sorry to all you thousands of fans). I generally like fictional books with either themes related to current world events or fictional historical world events. I also really like John Steinbeck, so any book similar to some of his would be great. However, it also might be nice to have just a fun read! Anyway, have any of you read anything lately you could suggest? Or just heard of a good one from others? Please, I'm desperate. . .if I don't get any help I may just start reading Brad's medical texts! Ugh!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Well I have read a lot of really good books recently,but the last book I read was a vampire love story so that probably doesn't fit into your criteria. Come to think of it, all of the books I have read lately are romance, sci-fi, or Harry Potter... hahha that's funny. I'll keep my eye out for some that you would be more interested in.
I just finished the "Uglies" series which I thought was great. There are three books in the series, and although they take place in the future, they are more relevant to current events and not very sci-fi-y.
I also really enjoyed "The Girl With a Pearl Earring", and "The Time Traveler's Wife".
I have some good PT texts if you want to read those instead of Brad's books.
Seriously, I just finished a pretty good book, you might like it.
It's 2 books in one, pretty cool right?
Anyway, it's called Animals All Around my big book of flaps and it's a Little People book. It's got these flaps, and when you look under them, there's different animals. It also teaches you about shapes and counting, etc. I read it 3-4 times a day (and Emily reads it practically non-stop).
Three books that I've read fairly recently (meaning in the last year) and enjoyed: Mary and Joseph by Marcum, a fictional account of what could have happened surrounding Christ's birth and very interesting; A Familiar Ring by Terry Roger, not historical, but it was very good; and A Train to Potevka by Mike Ramsdell, written by former spy in about his somewhat fictional experiences in Russia. I don't know if your library carries any of them since they're all LDS authors or if you'd have to buy them. We checked out all from the library or I'd send you my copies.
Heather, I picked up a book at Costco that I haven't read yet, but can't wait to. It's by the author of The Kite Runner--called A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. I'll send it when I finish it, but who knows when I'll get it started?
Hey Heath, I agree with Maren on the vampire book. It's called Twilight and it is the newest rage. I am actually just about to start it so I don't know from personal experience, but everyone has recommended it to me.
I also was going to say Twilight. It sounds crazy but it is really good. You just might like it!
Heather, I can't believe you have time to read when you nurse. I guess I was always working while nursing though and with two there was no calm nursing time. I did however read a book a few years ago called "These is My Words" it is historical fiction and a good book. It is a little violent with Indian stuff, etc. right at the beginnng, but it calms down. It even has Mormon polygamists in it.
Heather, it just listed me as anonymous, but it was really Emily Wilde.
Post a Comment