Wednesday, October 3, 2007

No more Physical Therapy!


Exciting times!! As many of you know I have been taking Ella to physical therapy on Wednesday mornings every week for her torticollis. She actually enjoys it--there are always a lot of cool toys to play with and cute kids to look at--but I have mostly just thought it was a pain. Beyond the weekly PT sessions, I have had to do a TON of stretches with her every day. The instructions were to do 3-5 reps of each stretch (there are 2) at every diaper change (about 6-7 times per day). Well, she hates the stretches. . .not because they hurt her (I don't think) but because she hates being forced one way or another (much like her momma). I even got creative on multiple occasions and tried to "trick" her into doing the stretches without realizing it. It worked a time or two, but fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I do not have a dumb baby. She may have been fooled once. . .but she never fell for the same trick twice! Needless to say, since she hates them so much, I have come to loathe them as well. Regardless, I have still done them faithfully! But, at our physical therapy session this morning I was told that she has made so much progress that I no longer have to do the stretches with her and I no longer have to bring her into PT!! All I have to do is play with her, encourage her to use her neck muscles on the weaker side, keep an eye on it and make sure I don't notice any regression. Hooray!! I am so excited. . .and I am sure Ella will appreciate it as well (that is what really matters after all).

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Yeahh! I didn't even know she was doing physical therapy....

What a good mom to keep doing the stretches with her....glad that you are done with that!

Anonymous said...

WooHoo!!!!!

Barb said...

Congratulations! Because of your diligence you have improved your baby's health- an accomplishment you should be proud of!

Jeff said...

What's wrong with Physical Therapy?

I'm offended.

Congratulations!
(But I'm still offended)