Sunday, January 6, 2008

Back to Life. . .Back to Reality

After nearly 3 weeks back home in Utah visiting family and friends, we have now returned to our other home in Virginia. Even though we stayed in town longer than we ever have before, we were much less ready to leave than we have been in Christmases past. It was so much fun to spend Christmas, our 3rd Anniversary and New Year's with our loved ones. While home we were able to relax so much more as a family (that doesn't happen too often while Brad is busy in school) and were able to spend time with so many family members and good friends--although we still didn't manage to see everyone we wanted to. We also were able to introduce Ella to everyone since it was our first time returning home since she was born. I just love the holidays and appreciate them even more now that we live away and really have to relish the once-a-year opportunity to gather with our loved ones.

It would be impossible to sum up our whole trip, so I will just share some highlights. Upon review of our camera's memory card I have realized that I have become one of those lame people who takes over 300 pictures on a vacation, with only a handful of them of anyone else besides our sweet baby. I was very upset with myself when I realized I had missed the opportunity to take pictures of our visits with family and friends. I had no idea I had taken so many pictures of Ella and so few of anyone else. Oh well, maybe I've learned my lesson for next year!





Seeing the lights at Temple Square

First look at snow

Her favorite toy--cellophane (maybe not the safest though)

Modeling the hat Aunt Niki made

First bite of steak (okay not yet, but she sure wanted to)

All the Holbrook kiddos

Opening presents Christmas morning



Stan's (Brad's brother) favorite gift :)

Playing with Emily (her only cousin at least for the time being)

Hanging out with Uncle Chad

Enjoying dinner at Market Street (My favorite restaurant) with Grandpa Draper

Braving the cold with Grandma Holbrook


I know there are a lot of pictures, but I had to make up for 3 weeks worth of posts!

Other noted events that took place on this trip:
Ella took her first plane ride, cut her first tooth, spent her first night without Mommy and Daddy so they could celebrate their anniversary (Thanks Gma and Gpa Holbrook), stopped sleeping through the night, saw and felt snow for the first time, and so much more.
We were able to eat at our favorite restaurants we miss in Salt Lake: Market Street Grill, Spaghetti Factory, Hire's, Cafe Rio, Crown Burger, Ruth's Diner, and Banbury Cross Donuts. (We truly stuffed ourselves the whole trip!)
We got to go to the temple a few times without having to travel 3+ hours, attend a cousin's wedding, enjoy a plethora of family Christmas parties, Brad got to go skiing, I got to meet many friends for lunch and have a babysitter for Ella (so I could really chat), and of course spend so much time with our families.

Thanks for all those who made time in their schedules to hang out with us. We have missed you so much and had so much fun catching up. Until next year!!

2 comments:

Taylor, Melanie and Grace said...

Looks like you guys had tons of fun while you were here. I love the pics of Ella!

Stan and Mel said...

It was fun seeing you guys at Christmas...I love the first look at snow pic