Ella slept in her big girl bed last night for the first time. It did not go so well.
She went to bed just fine, however she woke up 4 or 5 times during the night underneath her bed. She cried out for us--she was obviously confused and disoriented. How does one go to sleep in a bed and end up underneath it--on multiple occasions?? The last time (about 3 in the morning)she cried and asked if she could sleep in her crib, and I gave in and let her. I think I would want to too if I ended up underneath my bed, banging my head on it a time or two.
I just don't get it. I always knew she was a crazy sleeper--she would wind up in all sorts of crazy positions in her crib, but I never would have expected this.
Does it mean she is not ready for a big girl bed, or does she just need to get used to it?
I just don't know.
6 comments:
WOW - Kids never cease to amaze me. Where are the pictures of her new bed, with her in and under it? Sounds like you have your work cut out for you before Maggie can move into the crib. See you in a few weeks.
What fun you're having!!! Maybe you'll have to really work on the 'big girl' idea, where big girls get extra book time or more special time with Dad or something like that...so she knows it's worth the fight. Perhaps you'll need to swaddle her again??? Yikes! Just keep telling her that grandma loves her and can't wait to see her sleeping in her big girl bed. Also, trying for the length of time a nap takes might be good, too. Good luck!!! Mom
One more thing to consider--can you rig up a rail, like on a hospital bed? That might keep her from rolling onto the floor. Mom
Hey! I've totally been stalking your blog for a little while. ;) I just wanted to stop in and say that there is light at the end of the big-girl-bed drama! We had Edana switch to a big girl bed a few months before her second bday. I actually wish maybe we had waited until she was a litte older, maybe things would have gone smoother, but we actually broke down the crib, so she/we had no choice. Our biggest thing was just talking it with her and showing our excitement for her and her new big thing. She still has times where she will knock on her door to be let out in the middle of the night, but we go in, reassure her, sing her some songs and tell her she needs to be a big girl and sleep there. Some nights it is so hard to not just bring her in with us, but we've found we all sleep better if she stays there. I hope things go better!And I can't believe how big she has gotten!!
if her bed doesn't have a rail I would get something to help keep her up there. Chase still falls out of his bed but his is more a full size bed now and feel bad when he falls but he's been sleeping in it for a year and a half you'd think he'd know. Good luck it is hard! I agree also with just trying it for nap time for a shorter time and talk it up about what a big girl she has gotten to be
andrew would fall out all the time too! He rolled under a couple of times and I about had a heart attack when I checked on him during the night and couldn't see him anywhere! He eventually got better, but it did take a couple of weeks. I never did buy a bed rail, but thought about it. Maybe that would be good. Good luck. (He did stop napping early because he could get out of bed and play, so I used a pack n play for naptime.)
Post a Comment