Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Thirty

(I realize I should have a picture in here of me at 30, but since I don't think we have taken a picture with me in it for like 6 months you will have to just imagine a gorgeous one instead!)

I hit the big 3-0 while we were in Utah. I was able to go out to breakfast with one of my best friends in the morning, Brad treated me to a day at the spa in the afternoon, and then we were able to go out to dinner in the evening while the kiddos stayed with my parents. It was a nice day.

Of course on the big day, I kept getting asked, "How does if feel to be 30?". The truth is, I'm not quite sure. I've never been one to fret about my age too much, but hitting the 30 mark has seemed like somewhat of a big deal to me. I feel like 30is OLD. It's not fair that I had to hit 30 while being 6 months pregnant, but I guess it's better than 8 or 9 months pregnant right? I mean--I really don't feel like I'm making 30 look good right about now. I'm starting to get more self conscious of the circles under my eyes, that will probably get drastically worse after baby #3 makes her appearance. I have some noticeable gray hairs up front now but since I can't afford the fun salon coloring/highlights am wondering if I should start buying hair color out of a box. I never lost all of my baby weight from Maggie before this pregnancy, and now with all of the comments about how much harder it is to lose weight once you're out of your 20s am wondering if I ever will. I have no fashion sense and it's been so long since I have really gone shopping for myself that I have no chance of ever looking "hip" again. But I guess all those things are pretty superficial and unimportant anyway.

When I was at the spa on my birthday, I realized that for the first time I was a client of someone who was younger than me. It was so weird, I honestly don't think that has ever happened to me yet and it really made me realize my age. It was so weird talking to her as someone with more "life experience" when I still feel like it should be the other way around.

All in all though, when I think about my life at 30 I think I have it pretty good. When I dreamed about myself at this age as a kid I didn't hope for those other superficial things that began to fill my thoughts on my birthday, but instead dreamed of being married to a wonderful(and incredibly attractive)husband, and being a mother living in a happy and comfortable home where I could stay home and take care of my little ones. I feel so blessed to have all of the IMPORTANT things in life. And now when I think about it again, 30 isn't so bad after all. I hope after another 10, 20, or 30 years I still can see so many wonderful blessings and my life is full of as much happiness as it is now!

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Happy Birthday, Heather! I'm glad you had a wonderful day. Make sure you do take some pictures soon; you will want to be able to remember this pregnancy when it's over!

Beth Clayton said...

Happy Birthday Heather! You make thirty look good, b/c you are good! I loved reading your post. And being at a spa sounds like heaven at any age!

Melanie said...

I love your thoughts on being 30. It is all about the important things huh? I'm glad you had a great birthday!

The World of Chad said...

Here's your message from Mom--lucky for you to be 30 and already have 2 beautiful girls with a third one on the way. Remember that your mother wasn't even married at 30 and didn't have her only girl until she was 34! Imagine how I feel when you turn 30 and I'm 64!!! Just enjoy each part of life as it comes and know that there are always challenges along with all the good times. I'm so proud of the wonderful mother you have become, and I admire your ability to be a very good wife at the same time. You are one fabuloous woman!!! Mom