Thursday, February 21, 2013

Composing

Ella started taking piano last summer.  She has been doing well and really enjoys playing and learning.  We are now to the point where she is about at my same level in piano.  You can decide for yourself if that describes more about how fast she is learning or about how pathetic my piano skills are.  Perhaps they are both true.  I have always wished I was more musically inclined. 
 
I think Ella is taking after her Daddy's musical abilities (but hopefully she has a bit more of a willingness to work hard than he did :)).  The other day she was practicing piano when I noticed that she wasn't playing from her books.  I continued to watch from a distance when I realized she was writing her own music and then playing it.  I was super impressed---especially because the song sounded really pretty too!  She titled it "The Sunset" but is still planning to add more to it.
 
Not many people know this, but Brad actually has composed a number of songs on the piano himself as well (and even a bit better and longer than Ella')!  In fact, on the day of our wedding his gift to me was a song that he wrote and played just for me.  I had no idea he had been working on it at all, but apparently he had spent many hours getting it just right for me.  It is saved on the computer on our piano and I love listening to it and telling the girls about how romantic their dad used to be :).   It is also fun to let them know about the things their parents did before they came around, and before our lives revolved around work at the hospital!  Of course, it is also pretty special to see some of those attributes (the good ones, of course) coming out in our children.
 
 
 
 

 

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Wow good job Ella!
We want to hear "The Sunset" when you guys come visit.
So impressed!

Weston is actually composing stuff this year in his piano class. Our kids are growing up!

ps. Ella has a lot of her mom's GREAT features.

Conrad S said...

Brad was the keystone of our band, and I'm counting on Ella to fill his shoes for our reunion tour when he is stuck working.

Teri said...

Wow, I'm not surprised little Miss Ella is composing her own music! We sure do miss your'e family.