We had to leave from our house at 5 am to get there in time to see "Dawn Patrol"--where they send up some balloons in the darkness to test the winds and that before the mass ascension begins after the sun comes up at 7am. We had to brave the cold 50 degree temperatures to do it (and I had to get out the girls' pants and sweatshirts for the first time since our move), but it was well worth it. I think watching those balloons take off in the darkness was one of our favorite parts of the whole day. However, it was VERY hard to get a picture of it in the darkness, and I almost ran out my whole camera battery trying to do it!
Brad and I got breakfast burritos and hot chocolate and we got a cinnamon roll for the girls to enjoy during these pre-dawn activities. . .
A little family pic while the balloons in the background were starting to prepare for the 7am "Mass Ascension"--where more than 500 balloons take off all around you!
The balloon crew (it takes a suprisingly large amount of people to get it ready to take off) dresses up as storm troopers---too funny!
It was SO hard for me to pick pictures to put on here as I felt none of them really portrayed what it is like being there. If you look at some of those pictures with the most balloons you just have turn yourself around 360 degrees and picture that same visual all the way around. I really wished I had a panoramic lens so I could capture it better. We really had such a great time and loved being up close to the balloons and being surrounded by them all. Brad and I made the commitment to each other that we will make Ella's dream come true and be sure we do a family hot air balloon ride at some point while we live here. Until then, we will just be looking forward to next year's fiesta and try to catch some of the other events that go on during the week as well. We are so glad we had the opportunity to see it all--what a great weekend!
6 comments:
Ohhh!!! Can we come visit? I want to come and see all those balloons. The kids would have a hay day doing so. So I read your blog...you are SOOOO NOT BORING!!! I cant believe you would even think that! Heather you are an amazing wife and mother! You are such a good mom, you are so patient and loving. Honestly there would be times when I would leave your house and say to myself..you need to do better, you need to be more patient like Heather is. You are so supportive of Brad. And both of you crack me up. You are fun to be with. I miss you! I am sorry things have been rough adjusting but know this Miss Heather...you are awesome at what you do and you inspire others to be better moms and spouses! Now go make some poppy seed bread and think of me because thats my favorite! Lots of love from VA!
Ella and I totally have the same dream. That is just so beautiful!
What a fun family adventure! Glad to see you are enjoying New Mexico! We definitely miss you in Virginia!:)
Wow! I wish we could have been there to see it with you. It looks amazing! Maybe next year :)
How fun! What an exciting thing to get to do with your family each year now. Mark and I were saying that it would be fun to come visit you guys sometime. Neither of us have been to New mexico.
That is the coolest thing ever. I would love to bring the boys down to see that sometime. I can't believe how big your girls are getting. They look so cute.
Post a Comment